Head and neck cancer: symptomatology, diagnosis, treatment
Oncological processes in the head and neck of a person belong to the class of complex pathologies of the malignant group. They occur in twenty percent of cases among cancerous tumors. In most situations, the pathological process occurs in adult patients older than fifty years. Predisposing factors contributing to the development of cancer in the neck, head of a person include:
- Long-term nicotine addiction;
- A tendency to excessive drinking;
- Human papillomavirus;
- Epstein-Barr virus.
Symptoms of head and neck cancer
The nature of the manifestation of the pathological process depends on the location of the neoplasm. Among the characteristic symptoms are:
- Violation of speech function with damage to the tongue;
- Ulcers on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity. Holds up to fourteen days;
- Swelling, swelling in the mouth, in the cervical spine;
- Field sensations in the throat, ear, one-sided type;
- impaired respiratory function;
- Voice changes - the appearance of hoarseness, noisy breathing;
- Complications of the swallowing reflex, soreness when chewing food;
- The presence of pain in the front, jaw pain;
- Bleeding from the nose, feeling of stuffiness, the impossibility of nasal breathing;
- Impaired auditory function, the appearance of noise, ringing in the ear canals;
- Loss of teeth of unclear etiology;
- Development of leukoplakia, erythroplakia in the mouth;
- Lips, mucous membranes of the mouth grow numb.
Diagnosis of oncology of the head, neck
The initial diagnosis of cancer of the head and neck begins with an examination by specialists with a narrow profile. The patient referred for consideration to a dermatologist, therapist, surgeon, otolaryngologist, an oncologist. Based on the information received, a team of experts is developing a survey program. It includes:
- X-ray examination;
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- computed tomography;
- Collection of biological material for cytological analysis;
- Endoscopic examination;
- Ultrasound diagnostics.
- Modern methods of treating head and neck cancer at Tel Aviv Medical Clinic
- The largest medical center in Tel Aviv specializes in applying innovative, high-tech techniques in the treatment of cancer.