In a healthy person, urine moves from the kidney through the ureter to the bladder. If the bladder is full, the pressure builds up in the bladder, and the bladder valve closes. Therefore, the reverse movement of urine excluded. But with vesicoureteral reflux (VUR), the plug is damaged or weakened, and urine moves back to the kidney.
Most often, this pathology diagnosed in children under two years of age.
In many cases, inflammation is the cause of reflux in a child. As a result, the tissues' elasticity of the orifice of the ureter lost, and the valve stops closing.
VUR often occurs due to congenital anomalies of the cystic ureter. High pressure in the bladder with incomplete closure of the valve can provoke the development of pathology.
REFLUX SYMPTOMS IN CHILDREN
Depending on the degree (stage) of vesicoureteral reflux in children, symptoms may be more or less severe.
Since most often, the disease affects young children, who are not always able to tell about their complaints and poor health, parents should pay special attention to the child's health.
- Fever with no signs of colds or flu
- General weakness
- Pain in the lower back when urinating
DIAGNOSTICS OF BLOODY REFLUX IN CHILDREN
The results of laboratory tests help the doctor to suspect acute pyelonephritis and VUR in a child. Next, the little patient must undergo an instrumental examination.
The main stage in the diagnosis of reflux is cystography. This study allows you to visualize the return of urine from the bladder to the ureter and kidney.
Since reflux is a dynamic process that can be of varying duration and intensity and occurs with a different filling of the bladder, it is essential to conduct this study to diagnose VUR correctly.
Advantages of cystography in EMC:
- Research at EMC. He immediately assesses the information content of the images obtained and explains the results to the parents in detail.
- Cystography performed in a dynamic mode of video recording on a digital X-ray machine. This helps the doctor fully visualize and record filling and emptying the bladder, making it possible to review the complete examination record and not miss even the shortest reflux.
- If necessary, for example, if the child is very young or fearful of the examination, cystography under sedation can be performed at EMC. This will help the child relax and calm down, and during the procedure, he will not experience discomfort and negative emotions. Before performing cystography under sedation, the anesthesiologist will necessarily consult and determine the dose of the sedative.
Treatment at the leading Israeli clinic Tel Aviv Medical Clinic
The specialists of the Israeli clinic Tel Aviv Medical Clinic know all modern surgical treatment methods of VUR in a child.
Vesicoureteral reflux endoscopic surgery is a common technique that can correct reflux in more than 85% of cases. The essence of such an operation is to restore the impaired function of the ureter by introducing a liquid polymer under its outlet.
Specialists also perform reconstructive plastic surgery to correct vesicoureteral reflux by open, laparoscopic, or robotic-assisted methods.
The availability of the latest equipment and all modern diagnostic methods in the clinic helps doctors give a full clinical assessment of the patient's health and carry out precisely the active treatment in a particular case.